Kombu soup or dashi can be used for many Japanese dishes, such as miso soup, chawanmushi, soba or udon soup, pot dishes, braised dishes and many more. To make miso soup, just add in tofu cubes, mushroom and thin sliced pork belly, dried wakame and miso paste.
1 litre of Water
20-30g Bonito flakes
- Wipe kombu lightly with a damp cloth to clean.
- Place water and kombu in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Remove kombu just before the water reaches a boil.
- Add a little water (50ml) to keep it from boiling.
- Add bonito flakes. When the water boils, remove it from the heat at once.
- Skim the surface to remove foam.
- When bonito flakes sinks to the bottom, strain them through a sieve.