* This item ships INTERNATIONALLY. *
Organic Alfalfa Seed Nature's Glory
(Organic Alfalfa Seeds for Sprouting)
Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) is a flowering plant in the pea family Fabaceae cultivated as an important forage crop. We usually eat alfalfa sprouts in salads and sandwiches. Alfalfa is one of nature's most beneficial foods for good health. Alfalfa is believed by some to be a galactagogue, a substance that induces lactation. Alfalfa sprouts are pale, fine green spindly and contain plenty of starches, oils and nutrients that help the growth of the plant.
Alfalfa is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper and manganese. It is high in potassium, vitamin A, beta-carotene, and vitamins in the B group, niacin, thiamin and riboflavin. Alfalfa is a good source in folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, pantothenic acid, and vitamin K. This food is low in saturated fat and sodium, and very low in cholesterol. It is also a good source of protein and an excellent source of dietary fibre.
When Alfalfa seeds germinate, the nutrients in the seeds are converted to vitamins, minerals, enzymes and proteins and sugars, making them an ideal food sources. Sprouting seeds emit less wind when digested than those which are not sprouted as the germinations process consume the indigestible sugars in the seed.
Alfalfa sprouts are one of the top sources of anti-oxidant which may help in heart diseases, menopausal symptoms, and osteoporosis. Consumption of the sprouts may help to inhibit inflammation, lower high blood pressure, boost the immune system, lower the cholesterol, regulate bowel movement, and also good for the eyes.
Nature’s Glory Alfalfa seeds are organically grown without the use of pesticides, chemicals or additives and are not genetically modified (Ecocert certified).
Nutrition Facts (For serving size 33g)
Calories: 8, Calories from Fat: 2, Total Fat: 0g (Saturated Fat: 0g), Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 2mg, Total Carbohydrate: 1g (Dietary fibre: 1g, Sugars: 0g), Vitamin A: 1%, Vitamin C: 5%, Calcium: 1%, Iron: 2%.
Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to Use
Alfalfa sprouts can be enjoyed in salads, sandwiches, omelettes or as a garnish on soup.
How to sprout:
- Measure the correct amount of seeds, about 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) of alfalfa sprouts.
- Inspect them by pouring them out onto a large plate, serving dish, or baking sheet. Check whether there are any broken or withered seeds.
- After they're sorted, pour them into a strainer and give them a good rinse.
- Pour the rinsed seeds into the jar, bowl or sprouter.
- Cover them with adequate water, about a few inches (6-8 cm) above the level of the seeds.
- Let the seeds soak overnight. Consider using filtered water for sprouting.
- Next morning, cover the mouth of the jar with cheesecloth and fasten with the rubber band. Turn over the jar in the sink. The cheesecloth acts as a strainer, holding in the seeds and letting out the water. If you're using the bowl method, use the strainer to strain out the soaking water and rinse the seeds.
(You may consider saving this soaking water. It contains valuable nutrients that can be mixed into a health shake with other ingredients like fruit and yogurt. Or it can be used for the houseplants.
- Shake the jar (or strainer) a few times to remove all of the water from last night's soak.
- Fill up with water, and again drain out the water to rinse.
- Hold the jar up to the light; the seeds should be mostly dry. If there's too much water left in the jar, the seeds may rot over the next few days.
- Place them in a warm place away from direct sunshine.
- On the evening of the same day, repeat the rinsing process.
- Continue this morning and evening rinsing for 4 or 5 days. If you're feeling particularly keen on sprouting, you can rinse it a third time at noon.
- Green leaves start to sprout on seeds.
After four or five days, the sprouts will reach their peak of flavour and nutritional value, ready to be harvested.
- Give them a final rinse and drain.
Ingredient: Organic alfalfa seed
Storage: Keep in a cool and dry place.
Product of China
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.