Many decades ago, people were satisfied with using whatever soap placed on the store shelves. However, with the emergence of various research and environmental awareness, people start to realise the hidden toxins lurking in many commercial soaps, and more people demand a better soap alternative.
Luckily, a better soap alternative does exist in the form of Castile soap. This article walks you through what you need to know about organic Castile soap, including its benefits and uses.
What is Organic Castile Soap?
Organic castile soap is a highly versatile, vegetable-based soap that offers a wide range of benefits. It originated from a region in Spain named Castile, where olive oil was combined with sodium carbonate to make a hard white soap sold all over Europe in the early sixteenth century. Since then, it has evolved to include other types of plant-based oils, such as hemp, palm kernel, coconut, castor and jojoba, giving the soap manufacturers greater control over the soaps’ properties. These oils also give the soaps their lathering, cleansing, and moisturising effect.
Moreover, organic Castile soaps are typically completely free of any harsh chemicals. Hence, they are suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin and eczema.
What are the Benefits of Castile Soaps?
Castile soaps give you various amazing benefits. Here are some of their main advantages:
Versatile and Economical
Castile soaps are versatile and can be used for a broad range of purposes. Since they are highly concentrated, you do not have to use a large amount; just a few drops go a long way. For instance, you only need a few drops of Castile soap for cleansing when taking a shower. You can also dilute it with a certain amount of water and use it as a decongestant, mouthwash, wound cleaning solution, deodorant, window cleaner, dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, scouring scrub, toilet cleaner, all-purpose household cleaner, makeup brush cleaner, fruit and vegetable rinse, plant spray and pet shampoo.
Moisturising and Good for the Skin
Using natural, organic vegetable oils, such as coconut and olive oils, can be exceptionally moisturising for the skin. These organic and natural oils help heal the skin and cleanse the skin from dirt and grime without making it dry or flaky. The soap is also naturally hydrating since it retains its glycerine content, which absorbs water from the surrounding air. Regular use of castile soap helps protect skin against free radical and cell degeneration, thereby delaying skin ageing and wrinkles.
Another appeal of castile soap is that it can cleanse effectively like many conventional, commercial soaps without any environmental and health hazards. It is biodegradable and sustainable, making it safe for the environment.
Since organic Castile soaps use natural ingredients, which are naturally harmless and safe, manufacturers do not have to perform animal experiments to test the product’s safety. Therefore, buying and using organic soaps like castile soap help support the movement towards abolishing animal experiments.
What Makes The Blessed Soaps®️ Different from other Soaps?
The Blessed Soaps®️ castile liquid soap series comprises pure essential oils to clean effectively without clogging the skin pores. It is a vegan and certified-organic product, free of any artificial colourings and fragrances, parabens, SLS and dimethicone. Moreover, this multipurpose soap can replace various products for numerous uses, allowing you to save money and space.
Here are seven things you need to know about The Blessed Soaps®️ castile soap collection:
- Balance formula: Its balanced formulation forms a healthy hypodermal pH of 7.8.
- Less Dry: It is ultra-moisturising with organic olive oil, aloe vera and shea butter content.
- Essentials: Its scents come from organic and pure essential oils, not from synthetic perfumes or fragrances.
- Safe: It contains certified-organic, food-grade ingredients and has a NASAA-approved cosmetic seal.
- Silky: It promotes smooth and silky skin.
- Economical: It is highly concentrated, cleans fast and washes off easily with water savings of up to thirty per cent.
- Delay Ageing: Its non-blocking pore formula allows the skin to breathe, while its rich nutrient content pampers and rejuvenates the skin.
The Blessed Soaps®️, Probably the Best Castile Soap in Singapore
Each variety of The Blessed Soaps®️ offers distinct properties and scent. You can choose your favourite scent from six different varieties:
- Lavender-Peace: This variety is made of lavender essential oils, which smooths skin irritations, promotes peaceful sleep and relaxes the mind and body.
- Tea Tree-Kindness: This variety contains lavender and lemon essential oils. It helps relieve acne, skin woes and dandruff. It also has antibacterial and antifungal effects.
- Citrus-Joy: This variety is made with lemon, lime and orange essential oils. It helps purify the skin, lymph, breasts and lungs. It also combats fat and nausea and uplifts your mood.
- Peppermint-Patience: This variety is made of peppermint and spearmint essential oils. It helps refresh and cool the body, promotes focus and respiratory function.
- Eucalyptus-Self-Control: This variety contains eucalyptus, peppermint and lemon essential oils. It helps clear the mind, lungs and sinus, promotes vitality and refreshes your mood.
- Unscented Baby Love: This variety has no scent and no essential oils, making it ideal for babies, young kids and people with sensitive skins or skin allergies.
Nature’s Glory The Blessed Soaps®️ Castile liquid soap collection is organic-certified and made of pure essential oils, is probably the best alternative to Dr Bronner’s castile soap in Singapore. Formulated with the right balance of organic ingredients, it can cleanse and moisturise almost all skin types effectively without clogging the pores.
FAQS on Castile Soap
Castile soap is a versatile vegetable soap that is free of synthetic ingredients and animal fats. Its name originated from a region in Spain known as Castile. Traditionally, it was made with olive oil. However, nowadays, it is also made with other oil types, including castor, coconut and hemp oils. Almond, walnut and avocado oils are sometimes used as well.
Castile soap offers various benefits, including:
- Provide Gentle Cleansing Without Toxins: Most soaps on the market use toxic sulphates to produce lather. However, castile soap lathers naturally without the use of any chemicals. It contains oleuropein, a polyphenolic substance with potent antibacterial property, which protects and cleanses your skin.
- Naturally Hydrating: Unlike most synthetic oil-based soaps that filter out glycerine, castile soap retains this compound. Glycerine absorbs water from the air and moisturises your skin naturally.
- Safe for Sensitive Skin: Castile soap is made of simple and safe plant oils, making it safe for most sensitive skin types.
- Soothes Dry and Irritated Skin: Plant oils, particularly olive oil, are high in monounsaturated fatty acids, healthy fats, which help replenish water in your epidermis, making your skin supple with a healthy glow.
- Improve 0ily, and Acne-Prone Skin: Oils in castile soap penetrate your skin pore and clean it without drying it out. Certain people have successfully used it to balance the pH of their skin to reduce acne.
- Allow Your Skin to Breath: Castile soap lets your skin breath and facilitates the natural process of dead skin cells shedding.
- Provide Natural Protection Against Free Radicals: Castile soap is rich in antioxidants, including vitamin A and E. Hence, frequent use of this soap helps protect the skin from cell degeneration, delaying wrinkles and ageing.
- Ease Psoriasis and Eczema: Castile soap containing nutrient-dense olive oil is also rich in oleocanthal, a compound that helps reduce inflammation.
- Wide Application: Castile soap can be used in a variety of ways, including as a wound cleaning agent, sinus decongestion, window cleaner, deodorant, shampoo, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, sparkling floor agent, toilet cleaner, hand soap, mouthwash, body wash, face wash, shaving cream, and spray, teeth cleaner, pet shampoo, makeup remover, fruits and vegetable wash, scrub cleaner and all-purpose household cleaner.
Castile soap is made from simple plant oils, which is generally considered safe even for the most sensitive skin types. It is free of harsh chemicals, such as parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate and toxic residues from pesticides, which may negatively affect the users’ skin in the long run. The soap is made of naturally-occurring organic ingredients, ensuring that the skin absorbs nutrients from the best organic, non-toxic substances.
Castile soap has enough potency to cleanse the scalp of product build-up and excess sebum. At the same time, it is gentle enough to protect the hair from drying and does not leave the hair stripped, making it an excellent alternative to commercial shampoo. Nevertheless, castile soap should not be used on colour-treated hair as it may strip away some of the hair’s colour.
While Castile soap does help remove bacteria and germs, it does not kill them. Rather, the soap functions as an eliminator or remover that cleans off the harmful microbes, dirt and grease from contaminated surfaces.
Certain varieties of Castile soap, particularly those containing tea tree oil, can function as an antifungal agent. Tea tree oil, an extract from a plant native to Australia, was traditionally used as a topical antifungal treatment on many parts of the body. Studies found that it may be effective against toenail fungus and athlete’s foot. Users can also use Castile soap to make an oil soap garden spray that acts as a natural fungicide or an all-purpose cleaner that removes mould.
Liquid Castile soaps generally come in concentrated form and need to be diluted before use for certain purposes. For instance, users intending to use liquid castile soap as a hand soap or dish soap should dilute it by mixing around a quarter cup of soap to about three to four cups of water.
However, for other applications, the water naturally present around the area is typically sufficient to dilute the soap. For instance, users who want to use castile soap as a facial wash can just wet their face with water before applying the soap.
One well-known Castile soap brand in Singapore is The Blessed Soaps, which is NASAA-certified and locally made. It is the best alternative to Dr Bronner’s castile soap in Singapore. This liquid castile soap collection is available in six varieties and can be bought through Nature’s Glory online organic shop.
To use Castile soaps on the face, hands, body, hair and as a shaving cream, wet the area with water and apply a small amount of castile soap on a bath sponge or hand, working up a lather. The water that gets mixed naturally with the soap is enough to dilute it. Rinse off the soap thoroughly.
Keep the Castile soaps in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight.